Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fall curriculum

If I were still teaching (in a classroom) I know that by August I would be mentally preparing for the upcoming school year. Some things never leave you, and once again I find myself envisioning how our fall will play out. Which topics are essential? Some off the top of my head are:

1. letter recognition: tracing, magnet play, letter building with found objects (sticks, q-tips, raisins, etc.)
2. color exploration: learning the difference between primary and secondary colors, replicating a color wheel, finger painting, brush painting, straw painting
3. cooking: measuring, planning a menu, grocery shopping, mixing and tasting :)
4. outdoor exploration: fall hikes, exploring our environment, tree and leaf rubbings
5. insects and mammals: differences, visits to the zoo, many art projects
6. social interaction: visit the fire station, weekly playdates with homeschoolers, and Georgia will begin taking an "active" class; either gymnastics or indoor soccer

No comments:

Post a Comment