Sunday, April 26, 2009

Classes

I am trying to find balance in my life. As I age, it gets a bit easier, but sometimes it is always a struggle. I find that I want my kids to have all of the advantages that other children have; educationally, socially, etc. Choosing to homeschool heightens this awareness (or fear) and forces me to concretely think about what I intentionally bring into our children's lives.

For instance, toddler gymnastic classes. Georgia is such an active child who loves to run, twirl, jump, climb, and somersault. I get excited and pour over local gymnastic schedules...but ultimately resist the pull. Why? On one hand I want her to socialize with peers, have other teachers, and burn some energy out. On the other hand I know from experience that once the classes begin, they are that much harder to stop. I abhor the constraints of a summer schedule and ultimately resign myself to wait another six months. Am I making a mistake or wisely preserving these last months of just us, without schedules, and our cavalier moods?

Ultimately I know there will be time soon enough for classes. We are choosing balance, old fashioned park time, and backyard somersaults in the meantime. All too quickly fall will be here and classes may begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment