Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nature Art




I try to give the kids some art time at least 3-4 times a week. I wish it were more, but in my 35 weeks pregnant status (not to mention our home is on the market), art time doesn't happen daily like I would prefer.

For me, art is about experimenting and getting messy. I find it essential to give the kids supplies and possibly some small directions, and let them set upon their own creations. Often they need baths afterwards because Theo has either rubbed his face with a glue stick and Georgia has stamped the color of her arms and hands into a darkened rainbow of hues. I don't mind that the kids are covered in paint/marker/glue/glitter and think it is evidence of time well spent.

Last week we took a neighborhood walk and gathered items that seemed interesting. I gave both of them large ziploc bags and they scavenged leaves, bark, small pebbles, empty nut shells, spring flowers (in January!), and moss. We then went home and got out the glue and glued away. Theo lost interest after the first two gluings, but Georgia glued her entire paper for thirty minutes. She did a fantastic job gluing and even showed me that rocks and large pieces of bark could be glued down with simple Elmer's glue. What did I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment