Sunday, March 15, 2009

Homeschooling Perceptions

Since beginning this adventure, I have come across quite a few "negative" responses. For instance, comments such as, "Your kids won't be socialized" or that of our teenage daughter's response, "homeschooled kids dress weird." If these are the comments people say aloud~I can only imagine what they must think.

My secret suspicions are that their comments are not very positive and border on wondering if we are religious sect members or if I am a crazed and overprotective mom. Let me set the record straight in saying that neither of these are the case.

I agonize a bit over my grammar and writing style now that I have declared us to be a homeschooling family. God forbid I misspell a word or write incorrect grammar to feel like people will deem me unacceptable as an educator for our children. Never mind that I previously taught 150 kids a year in the public school circuit...

Anyway, I realize that homeschooling requires lots of justifications and clarifications. I get that and respect all of you. I don't deny that it is atypical. Some (including myself) might think it "weird." It is what it is and I don't apologize for our choice, but defiantly embrace it for all of its oddity and adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment