Sunday, March 22, 2009

Goals for Education

I have been pondering the goals that I have for Georgia and Theo's education. I say "my" goals, since they are too young to verbalize their own, and because I am directing this train...and wish to have an overarching goal(s) in sight.

1. To instill a love of learning, knowledge, and the pursuit of such endeavors
2. To travel and explore the world, customs, and culture
3. To use service of oneself as a lesson, and lead by example
4. To socialize the children to adapt and converse with anyone and in any situation
5. To open any and all doors through concrete skills and teachings, needed for mainstream society

These might not be "regular" school goals such as learning numbers, shapes, and colors...but I believe that our goals are bigger than the confines of regular education. I don't dismiss what regular education teaches, but their focus (in my opinion) seems to be lacking to no fault of teachers and schools. I think by short changing our expectations with only measurable skills we miss the life long attitudes and skills that are arguably much more critical in a shrinking world. Essentially, I believe that we should start with the 5 goals listed above and include measurable skills as needed. This is how I plan to proceed while educating our wee ones.

1 comment:

  1. Amy - I caught this last week and reading this (especially your goal #2) made me think of it:

    http://www.ricksteves.com/radio/archive.htm#166

    I'm a ways from having a family of my own, but the thought of being able to travel with children some day really got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete