Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why?

We aren't religious, conservative, or over protective~why would we homeschool? In fact, I think we are quite "normal." My husband wouldn't agree, since he doesn't think that homeschooling is normal. To be honest, he is right...but of course I would rather he say we aren't typical rather than normal. All the difference is in the language :)

Why should we homeschool? I am not pleased with public school. Coming from a public school teacher I feel somewhat like a fraud or at least a disloyal or disenfranchised former employee. I don't mean to be negative but public school doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To begin with, kids are grouped by age rather than skill level. This very grouping sets kids up to either be bored, behind, or lost in the middle. I buy into the Montessori method of grouping based on age (traditionally a three year span) AND skill levels. However, most of the Montessori methods are not present in your average public school classroom.

Can you imagine the shake up~a school district reorganizing an entire district and eliminating traditional grades? Think of the testing and expense. Think of the parent frustrations. It would be chaos, learning would fall apart, and heaven forbid~the kids would not pass their state testing mandates. Schools would be fined and teaching positions would be cut. It is much better to follow the status quo and keep on trucking in an antiquated system.

I digress, this was about why we are choosing homeschooling and not a bash towards public educational systems. I cringe at the idea of my children in a classroom of 25-30 children. I know first hand that unless you are the loudest, most funny, smartest, or laziest in the class...you may be missed on any given day. It is a sure numbers game and it stinks, but it is what it is. No one human can personally touch, connect, and teach over 150 students a day. It isn't fair or realistic to expect otherwise. Of course this is just my opinion, some may argue with me, but this has been my experience.

As a family we contemplated private school, with our favorites being either a Waldorf or Montessori education, but soon realized that cost is prohibitive to us at this time. The economy has made our sole income in real estate a bit smaller and thus, less dispensable.

Arriving at homeschooling I see all the possibility; travel as our "classroom." Day trips to the zoo, aquarium, or mountain trails. Weekly trips that involve Amtrak rides, ferry boats, and tents. Monthly excursions of service that will eventually involve passports...the adventure's are endless. A philosophy of learning that takes place throughout our daily lives and doesn't end at the 3:00 pm school bell is a blessing in disguise. I don't want to raise video game kids and drama queens. I wish to raise kids who are open to possibility, who don't crave the latest designer labels, who read magazines about photography or travel instead of Teen Cosmo. Eliminating social pressures (but not isolating them) is a very big draw to our homeschooling lifestyle.

We have stars in our eyes over the possibility of who our kids may become and how this will all pan out. I expect bumps along the way, self doubt, and frustrations. In the end, we are making the right decision for our family right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment